Sweet Potato Pancakes With Orange & Strawberries
Prep + cook time 35 minutes serves 2 (makes 6 pancakes)
175g (5½oz) orange sweet potato, peeled, diced
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1 small navel orange (190g)
6 strawberries (120g), quartered
55g (2oz) buckwheat flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon, plus extra to serve
1 egg white
⅓ cup (80ml) high protein milk extra virgin olive oil spray
⅔ cup (190g) high protein natural yoghurt
1. Preheat oven to 100°C/210°F. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
2. Cook sweet potato in a small saucepan of simmering water for 8 minutes or until tender; drain well. Return sweet potato to same pan with half the maple syrup; mash well with a potato masher. Transfer to a medium bowl.
3. Meanwhile, peel 2 strips rind from orange. Peel and segment the orange, squeezing juice from membranes into a small saucepan; you will need ¼ cup (60ml) juice. Add orange rind and remaining maple syrup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; simmer for 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from heat, stir in strawberries and orange segments.
4. Sift the buckwheat flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a medium bowl. Add whole egg, egg white, milk and 1 tablespoon water to the sweet potato mixture; whisk to combine. Gently fold the dry ingredients through mixture, do not over mix.
5. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with oil spray. Pour 1/4 cups of batter into pan; cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to lined tray, cover with foil and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining pancake mixture, spraying with extra oil between batches, to make 6 pancakes in total.
6. Divide the pancakes and orange-strawberry mixture between plates. Top with yoghurt, sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
5.5g total fat
(1.5g saturated fat);
1387kJ (331 cal);
22g protein; 8.4g fibre;