Holiday Special Recipe: Strawberry and orange mille feuille
Prep + Cook Time 15 Minutes (+ cooling) ♦ serves 2
- cooking-oil spray
- 1 sheet fillo pastry
- ⅓ cup (80g) low-fat ricotta
- 1 tablespoon icing (confectioners’) sugar
- ½ teaspoon finely grated
- orange rind
- 3 teaspoons orange juice
- 325g (8 ounces) strawberries, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Lightly spray a baking tray with oil.
- Lightly spray pastry with oil; fold in half. Cut pastry into six rectangles.
- Place on tray; bake for five minutes or until golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, three teaspoons of the sifted icing sugar, rind and juice in a bowl.
- Place a pastry rectangle on a serving plate; lightly spread a quarter of the ricotta mixture over pastry, top with a quarter of the strawberries. Repeat layer, finishing with a third pastry rectangle.
- Repeat step 4 to make a second mille feuille; sprinkle mille feuilles with the remaining sifted icing sugar to serve.
To avoid the mille feuille slipping around the plate, place a dab of the ricotta mixture under the first pastry rectangle. It will hold the pastry in place. You need to assemble these mille feuilles just before serving or the pastry will go soggy. You can use any seasonal fruit such as raspberries and blueberries, thinly sliced stone fruit, or sliced seedless grapes or fresh figs.
Nutritional information (per serve)
- 4.2g total fat
- 1.6g saturated fat
- 496 kj (118 cal)
- 10.4g carbohydrate
- 7.9g protein
- 3.1g fibre
- 156 mg sodium
- Low GI
Recipe and image kindly provided by The Australian’s Women’s Weekly, Eating Well with Diabetes