Herby Chicken With Barley, Cauliflower & Silverbeet Risotto
Prep + cook time 1 hour (+ standing) serves 4
400g (12½oz) chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
1 bunch thyme, leaves picked, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium lemon (140g), rind grated finely, then juiced
500g (1lb) cauliflower, cut into large chunks
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
200g (6½oz) silverbeet (swiss chard), leaves torn, stems sliced
225g (7oz) pearl barley, rinsed
⅓ cup (80ml) dry white wine
2 cups (500ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
125g (4oz) reduced-fat ricotta
½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
1. Place chicken, half the thyme, one crushed garlic clove and half the lemon juice in a shallow bowl, toss to coat; season with pepper. Stand for 15 minutes to marinate.
2. Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion and silverbeet stems, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add remaining garlic and thyme; cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
4. Add barley and cauliflower to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until cauliflower begins to soften and barley toasts. Add wine; cook for 1 minute. Add stock; bring to a simmer. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to low; cook for 20 minutes. Add silverbeet leaves; cook, covered, for a further 10 minutes or until liquid has absorbed and barley is just tender. Season with pepper.
5. Meanwhile, heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add remaining oil; cook chicken for 3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate; rest, covered, for 5 minutes, then thinly slice. Add 1/2 cup (125ml) water and remaining lemon juice to pan; simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any caramelised bits, for 2 minutes or until a thin sauce forms.
6. Add the ricotta, parmesan and lemon rind to barley mixture. Serve risotto topped with chicken and drizzled with pan sauce.
12.5g total fat
(4.1g saturated fat);
1970kJ (470 cal);
36.5g protein; 13.1g fibre;